Monday, February 14, 2011

Peru Trip

So, a lot of people want to know why I am going to Peru. Well, the short answer is "it just sounded like it would be interesting". The slightly longer answer follows:

Last year, my Rotary Club decided to send some of our members down to Peru to install some clean water systems we had funded. Due to some family commitments, I was unable to go on this trip, so when the opportunity came up again for 2011, I decided to go. Peru has not really been at the top or even middle of my travel bucket list, but sometimes you just have to take opportunities as they arise.

The next question I get is "Are you going to Machu Picchu?" The answer to that one is a No. It seems everyone who goes to Peru (other than me) makes a side trip to Machu Picchu, but I just couldn't fit it in. Kind of like going to China and not seeing that Wall, I guess.

I will be gone for a total of 11 days, part of the time I will be in the area of Iquitos, Peru in remote villages setting up the water systems and generally being a good ambassador for Rotary International. Part of the time, I will be part of an Amazon Basin Eco Tour and finally I will spend a little bit of time in Peru's capital of Lima.

Departure date is less than two weeks away: Saturday, Feb. 26, 2011.

As we get closer to the date, I will post more details about my itinerary and the places I will visit. Hopefully, while I am on the trip I will be able to update this blog with pictures and detailed accounts, but internet access might be difficult at times. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment